Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Fervent Prayers

Right now I am praying fervently for so many couples who are somewhere in the process of trying to conceive a child, or enduring a difficult pregnancy, or suffering the loss of a baby. It seems lately that these types of heart aches have been resurfacing in the lives of friends, and friends of friends, and even some strangers I have come in contact with through various paths.

I am so thankful to have two beautiful healthy children. And yet, my heart aches daily for my child that lives in heaven--the one I never got to hold in my arms. And I know that I am not alone. SO many women I know have endured the pain of miscarriage (many multiple times), and many have lost children of all ages. And I know this is not just a pain that is specific to women--husbands/fathers are hurting as well.

I don't have any answers tonight. Scripture, however, does. It has so much to say about the blessing of a child, about God's ability to give this gift of life to those who thought it not possible. It even speaks of those children who did not live to see life on this side of the womb. So that is what I am clinging to tonight.

For others, I truly pray God gives them the desires of their hearts. I pray that God's Spirit would continually impress it upon my heart to continually lift them up in prayer--if it were me, I'd want to know, really know, that others were praying for me.

For myself, I cling to what God's Word says about where my baby is today, though not here in my arms, he or she awaits me in what Job describes as paradise. In his book, he speaks of a child who never saw the "light of day" as being in a place where "the weary are at rest. Captives also enjoy their ease; they no longer hear the slave driver’s shout. The small and the great are there, and the slave is freed from his master." That sure sounds like Heaven to me.

My only encouragement to anyone reading this post would be to share in the hurts of others any way you can. It is human nature to try to avoid hurting if we can. But for those who can't avoid it, it just might help if someone comes alongside and does nothing more but to hurt along with them.

For my friends who are hurting tonight. Just know I love you, I am making a conscious effort to keep my heart open and willing to hurt along with yours, and you are continually being lifted up in prayer.

1 comment:

  1. Chris - thanks for this. So true for my family right now. Heather

    ReplyDelete